Re: tcpd -DPARANOID doesn't work, and never did

From: Wietse Venema (wietseat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 11 1998 - 12:35:40 PST

    D. J. Bernstein:
    > Wietse Venema, BLURB, log_tcp 3.0, comp.sources.misc volume 23:
    >
    >    Optional features are: access control based on pattern matching, and
    >    protection against rsh and rlogin attacks from hosts that pretend to
    >    have someone elses host name.

    Let's be reasonable.

    The claim obviously was to protect against known rshd/rlogind
    attacks, not against every attack anyone might ever conceive.

    In the course of maintaining tcpd I learned new things, and built
    that knowledge into the software so that other people would profit
    from what I had learned.  In the process I helped to make systems
    less vulnerable to known attacks.

    However, no software can give total protection against every attack,
    known or yet to be discovered.  If you read such a claim in my
    writing, then I apologize for not being clear enough.

            Wietse

    PS: It's an interesting attack, but I still haven't seen your
    analysis of the effects of NIS, NSCD, etc. cacheing.