Denial of service in mibiisa? Possible "newsmurf"?

From: Erik Parker (netmaskat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 16 1998 - 12:25:11 PST

    Today one of our networks was almost destroyed by an attack,
    which appeared to effect SNMP, and was machine specific, packets
    came into one of our machines, and dropped the network. We called our
    upstream, and they told us that 100% of our T3 was filled. On an average
    day we use maybe 15M, but it was maxing it to 45. After not being able
    to get any response from the machine, and unplugging the ethernet,
    we could login via console, and noticed "mibiisa" was running using 98%
    CPU usage.

    We run the command with "mibiisa -p 32811"

    Our upstream thought it was a smurf, however a smurf wouldn't have
    attacked just snmp. From just the small amount of logs that they sent
    us, there were 203 unique hosts that sent the attack. Logs looking like
    this:

    Nov 16 13:15:28: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list 105 permitted tcp
    1.1.1.1(0) -> 0.0.0.0(0), 1 packet

    I had heard that there were alteration of the "smurf" attack, but
    could this be one of them?

    | Erik Parker         |
    | netmaskat_private     |
    | IDC NetOps          |