Re: ISSalert: ISS Security Update

From: topher (thughesat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 17 1998 - 08:12:17 PST

    > Hidden community string in SNMP implementation
    >
    > Synopsis:
    >
    > Internet Security System (ISS) X-Force has discovered a serious
    > vulnerability in Sun Microsystems(r) Solstice(tm) Enterprise Agent(tm)
    > and the Solaris operating system.  This SNMP hidden community string is
    > hard coded into the binary and can not be configured nor is it in the
    > configuration files.  The hidden Sun SNMP community word is not the same
    > as the hidden HP SNMP community string.  This vulnerability allows
    > attackers to execute arbitrary commands with root privileges, manipulate
    > system parameters, and kill processes.

    we're having some interesting results with this. In version 1.0.3 of the
    SEA SDK (as opposed to just the runtime stuff), the strings 'all public'
    and 'all private' are present in the mibiisa binary. It is possible to
    read the entire mib using the 'all private' COI, however, we are having
    difficulty using either 'private' or 'all private' to write values. This
    includes when we have actually configured the SNMP daemon to use
    private. =-)

    On a system using 1.0.1 it is possible to use the 'all private' to kill
    processes, kill connections, etc.... Interestingly, it is also possible
    to use 'private' to change the system information. Again, as far as we
    can tell, we are _not_ using private as a COI when we can change these
    values.

    We did not attempt any spoofing.

                                                    --topher