Re: [Linux] klogd 1.3-22 buffer overflow

From: Mike (tomainoat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 17 1998 - 18:51:00 PST

    First of all, I know this is a moderated group..  and this message is
    all my oppinion and nothing really important.

    Martin Schulze wrote:
    >     When reporting security related bugs you should *always* try to
    >     use the current version of a package instead of an ancient old
    >     one.

    Not every system uses the latest version of every piece of software. The
    upkeep required to do that on most systems would be ridiculous. The need
    for this list is to report bugs in software the readers might be using,
    which is not always the latest version.

    I don't think it is a reflection of poor skills if your software has a
    bug reported on this list. No system is 100% bug free, the more you look
    for bugs, the more you will find generally.

    Mike.