Re: NAI-30: Windows NT SNMP Vulnerabilities

From: Dave G. (dhgat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 18 1998 - 11:51:11 PST

    > When the SNMP Service is installed, the default configuration that is
    > provided leaves the system vulnerable to attack.  In the default
    > configuration the SNMP service answers to a single SNMP community
    > ``public'', which is given read-write permissions.  The community
    > is a name that is used much like an account name or a password to
    > restrict who can access the SNMP functions and in what capacity.
    > SNMP provides two levels of access, read-only and read-write.  The
    > Windows NT SNMP Service prior to Service Pack 4 does not allow
    > communities to be configured as read-only, so all SNMP communities
    > have the ability to write.

    There is another dangerous 'feature' with regards to SNMP community names
    under Windows NT 4.0 (SP3).  If SNMP is enabled, and there are no
    community names configured ( under  Settings -> Control Panel -> Network
    -> Services -> SNMP Service -> Security -> Accepted Community Names )
    any community name will be valid, and will (obviously) have read/write
    privileges.  I was unable to find anything that documented this behavior,
    and as you can imagine, I was quite suprised when I accidentally
    discovered this.

    Dave G.

    ---
    Dave Goldsmith