Re: NAI-30: Windows NT SNMP Vulnerabilities

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 18 1998 - 18:07:56 PST

    At 11:51 AM 11/18/98 -0800, Dave G. wrote:

    >There is another dangerous 'feature' with regards to SNMP community names
    >under Windows NT 4.0 (SP3).  If SNMP is enabled, and there are no
    >community names configured ( under  Settings -> Control Panel -> Network
    >-> Services -> SNMP Service -> Security -> Accepted Community Names )
    >any community name will be valid, and will (obviously) have read/write
    >privileges.  I was unable to find anything that documented this behavior,
    >and as you can imagine, I was quite suprised when I accidentally
    >discovered this.

    This is actually as per RFC 1157, and is documented on page 532 of the
    Server Networking Guide from the NT Resource kit.  We check for that in the
    ISS Scanner, too.  IIRC, so does CyberCop.  This behavior is true of just
    about any implementation of SNMP which goes by the RFC.  I agree with Mike
    Warfield's assertion that SNMP stands for Security Not My Problem.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private