Re: Netscape Communicator 4.5 can read local files

From: The Spirit of the Black Panther (pantherat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 23 1998 - 12:49:37 PST

    Georgi Guninski wrote:

    > There is a bug in Netscape Communicator 4.5 for Windows 95 and 4.05 for
    > WinNT 4.0
    > (probably others) which allows reading files from the user's computer.
    > It is not necessary the file name to be known, because directories may
    > be browsed.
    > The contents of the file may be sent to an arbitrary host. In order this
    > to work, you need both Java and Javascript
    > enabled. The bug may be exploited by email message.
    >
    > Demonstration is available at:
    > http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/1711/b6.html
    >
    > Workaround: Disable Javascript or Java.

    I have just tested this bug in Netscape 4.5 on a RedHat Linux 5.1 machine,
    Kermel 2.0.34 and with minor patching of the java, it is also effective.  I
    was sucessful in retrieving ANY LOCAL FILE with the World readable
    attribute. This includes the /etc/passwd file!  In netscape,
    Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Disable Javascript in Mail and News will block
    this exploit, unless the person has access to your web server.