Re: Netscape Communicator 4.5 can read local files

From: Ben Collins (bmcat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 25 1998 - 09:48:32 PST

    --FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

    I would just like to say that I find it hard to believe so much fuss has
    been made about this. It is clear that this is only a local 'trick' to
    look like it has gotten info. There used to be earlier versions of this
    where ppl would make a link to file:///C|/ and say they had your hardrive
    contents on their webpage, and now that java/javascript is involved
    everyone is freaking out over the same thing just done a litte more
    elaborately.

    If some one here can setup a webpage, send me the URL, have that page read
    the file '/test.txt' from my hardrive and then that person send the
    contents to this list, I will believe. Otherwise I think this whole
    hysteria over 'unforseen' dangers should stop.

    --=20
    Ben Collins <b.m.collinsat_private>                  Debian GNU/Linux
    UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollinsat_private

    --FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

    --FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5--