Re: bootpd remote vulnerability

From: John McDonald (jmcdonalat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 06:43:42 PST

    On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > Is Linux not vulnerable for some systemic reason, or because the distributed
    > bootp doesn't have the vulnerability?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >     Crispin

    I looked at Linux a while ago, so this is a somewhat vague memory. I
    believe I looked at a stable debian release (non-glibc), an older
    slackware version, freebsd 2.2.5, and freebsd 2.2.2. I apologize for my
    lack of memory.

    Anyway, I believe in all of these systems, the vulnerability was present,
    but it was not exploitable. The values in memory after the hwinfolist
    table were either too small to overwrite enough of the stack, or so large
    that they caused a seg fault. I remember there were some appropriate
    values in some cases, but they were over 255, and the value in memory that
    would correspond with their description was not a valid deferencable
    pointer. Thus, the warning that bootpd prints out would cause a bus error.

    horizon