Re: Irix tape devices + logs + su

From: Harhalakis Stefanos (v13at_private)
Date: Sat Dec 19 1998 - 16:44:36 PST

    On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:39:11 +0200, you said:
    > > entry in root's .cshrc)). So it is possible to have those devices with
    > > mode 644 or even 666, which is bad news, because anyone could use
    > > xfsrestore to get any file.
    >
    > Possibly an issue.  Remember that they still need physical access to
    > the tape and the tape drive.  xfsrestore isn't set-UID, so a user
    > can't extract files with a different owner unless they get root first.
    >
    > I'd worry more about someobdy doing an 'mt rewindoffline' to screw up
    > a running tape job.
     You can restore the files to a different location, than the original.
    xfsrestore will give you files like the shadow with pleasure. (It is as
    safe, as having the hard disk devices with o+rw permissions. :) An
    attacker needs to know, only the time you use to backup your / partition
    (any incremental level can be forced to backup /etc/shadow, by simply
    changing your password)

    >                                 Valdis Kletnieks
    >                                 Computer Systems Senior Engineer
    >                                 Virginia Tech