AOL client uses IP tunneling

From: Aviram Jenik (aviramat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 21 1998 - 11:27:28 PST

    Hi.

    I don't know if this is well known, but I'm sure it's new to many people
    on this list.

    Many administrators allow AOL client communication through their
    firewall. Those should understand, that while the AOL client only uses
    port 5190 for communication, the client actually establishes an IP
    tunnel to the server, in order to become a part of a VPN, thus
    effectively piercing the firewall.

    The consequences are that basically the firewall is useless. The
    firewall can do very little filtering, and certainly not protect the
    client against attacks from outside (including access to local services
    running on the client).

    This means that even though the firewall allows http access only to the
    internal web server, outsiders can access a local web server running on
    a client machine running an AOL client. Other malicious attacks (such as
    the various win nukes) are also possible.

    For more information please take a look at:
    http://www.securiteam.com/securityreviews/The_risks_of_using_an_AOL_client_behind_a_firewall.html

    --
    Aviram Jenik

    "Addicted to Chaos"

    Today's quote:
    Nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and
    the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced.
                             - Albert Einstein, "Ideas and Opinions", 1954