Cisco IOS 12.0 security bug and workaround

From: John Bashinski (jbashat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 08:03:13 PST

    We've had a report of nmap UDP scans crashing Cisco routers running
    Cisco IOS software version 12.0. This was apparently mentioned on
    BUGTRAQ, although the BUGTRAQ message has not yet arrived at Cisco.

    We've verifed that the problem does exist. We believe that it affects
    all Cisco routers running any variant of 12.0 (including 12.0T, 12.0S,
    etc.). We do *not* think that it affects any non-12.0 version. However,
    we got the bug report only three hours ago, have not yet finished
    characterizing it, and can't yet be completely sure which versions
    or which platforms are affected.

    This is very easy to exploit, and has now been announced very widely.
    Administrators should be on the lookout for it.

    The problem appears to be caused by packets sent to the router's syslog
    port (UDP port 514). A tested workaround is to use an access list to
    block incoming syslog traffic. You'd do this with something like this:

        access-list 101 deny udp any host <router-addr-1> eq 514
        access-list 101 deny udp any host <router-addr-2> eq 514
        access-list 101 deny udp any host <router-addr-3> eq 514
        ... etc ...
        access-list 101 permit ip any any

        interface <interface-1>
        ip access-group 101 in

        interface <interface-2>
        ip access-group 101 in

        ... etc ...

    The access list needs to block syslog traffic destined for any of the
    router's own IP addresses. It should be applied on all interfaces
    running IP, including virtual interfaces and subinterfaces (but not
    loopback interfaces).

    This workaround *does* have a performance impact that may be significant
    for some users. The impact isn't usually extreme, but it may make a
    difference on a router that's already heavily loaded. Install it with
    care if you install it.

    This bug may cause different router platforms to crash differently.
    Some routers have been observed to reboot and claim that they
    were "restarted by power-on"; you won't necessarily get a stack
    trace from one of these crashes.

    Since this is only partially characterized, you may choose to hold the
    workaround in reserve and apply it only if you believe you are being
    attacked. We should have a formal notice with full details within the
    next few days. We cannot yet make any estimate of when a fix will be
    available; we should have more information by the time the formal notice
    comes out.

    If you find that you are actually attacked with this, please report
    the attack to Cisco at "security-alertat_private".

    For more information on Cisco security procedures, see

       http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/791/sec_incident_response.shtml

                                            -- J. Bashinski
                                               Cisco Systems