Security Flaw in Cookies Implementation

From: Oliver Lineham (oliverat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 14:09:19 PST

    I have discovered what I beleive to be a flaw in the implementation of
    cookies, that allows for possible security implications.

    Products affected appear to include EVERY VERSION of Navigator that support
    cookies, and EVERY VERSION of Internet Explorer that support cookies.

    For a detailed explanation and analysis, please visit
    http://www.paradise.net.nz/~glineham/cookiemonster.html immediately.
    This site also contains a working demonstration.

    The problem relates to the restrictions applied to domains outside the
    united states, and how many dots they must contain.

    The site contains a full analysis of the problem, and has a working
    demonstration.

    Regards,

    Oliver Lineham

    Internet Services / Webdesign / Strategic Planning
    PO Box 30-481, Lower Hutt, NZ  oliverat_private
    Phone +64 4 566-0627       Facsimile +64 4 570-1900