Re: Nmap network auditing/exploring tool V. 2.00 released

From: Casper Dik (casperat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 01:12:57 PST

    >Another nmap-induced denial-of-service is against many machines inetd's
    >when doing a TCP connect() scan (-sT) with the result of killing the inetd
    >process.  I've found that Digital Unix and Irix have been vulnerable to
    >this.  I cannot reliably reproduce the problem[*] and have not tested it
    >against xinetd.

    The TCP scan seems to be wide spread under inetd.

    It's caused by the inetd "internal" TCP services; when a connection
    is made and closed before a response can be send, inetd will die with
    SIGPIPE.

    This affects the services that do not fork() prior to running; discard,
    echo and chargen do fork(), I believe, but time and daytime only send a
    single respone and fork()ing wasn't deemed necessary.

    It does affect Solaris prior to Solaris 7 (where it was fixed before it
    was understood how easy it was to trigger)

    Casper