Re: Postfix design directions

From: Chris Adams (cadamsat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 12:35:12 PST

    Once upon a time, Wietse Venema <wietseat_private> said:
    > Attack 2 is a wash. Postfix deletes a queue file that has multiple
    > links, so that the link count goes down; Postfix delivers a queue
    > file that has one hard link and that satisfies the Postfix-specific
    > record structure and record sequence requirements; Postfix discards
    > any other queue file.

    Seems like there could be race conditions here too.  For example, if you
    check the link count, and if it is 1, process the file and unlink it,
    someone could wait until you are processing the file to create a hard
    link to it.  Then, after you unlinked the first copy, the second copy
    would again have a link count of 1.

    --
    Chris Adams - cadamsat_private
    System Administrator - Renaissance Internet Services