Re: Nlog v1.0 Released - Nmap 2.x log management / analyzing tool

From: duke (dukeat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 24 1998 - 18:08:44 PST

    hi,

    there is still several security holes in the nlog cgi scripts that allow
    arbitary execution of commands..

    one such vulnerability is here in rpc-nlog.pl:

    $ipaddr = $ENV{'QUERY_STRING'};
    $ipaddr =~ s/\n//g;
    $ipaddr =~ s/\`//g;
    $ipaddr =~ s/\'//g;
    $ipaddr =~ s/\|//g;
    $ipaddr =~ s/\"//g;
    $ipaddr =~ s/\<//g;
    $ipaddr =~ s/\>//g;
    $rpcdata = `$rpcinfo -p $ipaddr`;

    this is insufficient checking as it does not include ; and / for
    example, so a user can put in a command separator and execute commands
    that way..

    duke