Re: Revisiting ufsdump under Solaris 2.6

From: Warner Losh (impat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 31 1998 - 13:40:01 PST

    In message <199812302243.XAA00222at_private> Anonymous writes:
    : Why don't I take this opportunity to put in a few jabs at Sun.  What are
    : the engineers at Sun thinking?

    Considering that ufsdump was written years ago, it isn't surprising
    that things like this are cropping up.

    : Knock, knock, anybody home?  Just imagine all the problems Sun would solve
    : if they replaced each of these vsprintf() and sprintf() calls in the
    : Solaris source tree with a simple vsnprintf() or snprintf() call.  Is that
    : too much to ask from such a large and powerful organization like Sun with
    : deep pockets and lots of engineers?

    People at sun are home.  They have reseolved these issues in 2.7 (or
    2.7's first jumbo patch, I don't recall which).  Much effort was
    placed into the 2.7 release to make sure that things like this got
    fixed.  It is easy to take pot shots at code that has been fixed in a
    newer release of solaris.  I know the engineer at Sun that did this
    work, and he helped me fix a few problems that still lingered in
    OpenBSD's and FreeBSD's dumps.  They weren't too bad in FreeBSD and
    OpenBSD.  In OpenBSD because dump/restore isn't setuid/gid anything.
    In FreeBSD because dump isn't setuid root, but is setgid tty.  That
    latter problem will be taken care of shortly.

    While I'll be the first to flame a vendor that doesn't provide fixes
    in a timely manner, Sun did provide fixes to this in the first release
    after their were talked about here in bugtraq.

    Warner