Re: netscan.org - broadcast ICMP list

From: Troy Davis (troyat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 02 1999 - 03:15:30 PST

    On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 03:22:14PM -0500, fyodorat_private wrote:

    > On their page they say they are not going to release the scanner they use
    > to test networks for the problem -- people should use their web query form
    > instead.  This is unfortunate because the query form (like their database)
    > seems to only check .0 and .255 addresses.  Also it only seems to do class
    > 'C' addresses, meaning that you have to type in 256 addresses, one at a
    > time, to do a class 'B'.

    We're working on supporting any netmask, both for query size and interval
    netmask (ie, 216.39.0.0/16 in /24 subnets).

    As to the not allowing > class C searches, that's intentional right now.
    We're trying to lessen the impact - on amps and the Internet at large - of
    this data.  Someone smurfing with the original top 500 amps could have
    saturated (large portions of) any NAP off a DS3.

    > months nmap has had the capability to locate smurf addresses on your
    > Nmap can be obtained from http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ .

    Yep, neat tool.

    Cheers,

    Troy Davis