Re: Anonymous Qmail Denial of Service

From: Trev (trevat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 01:36:31 PST

    At 12:04 AM 1/4/99 -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

    <--big snip-->

    >What happens when the qmail-queue process is signaled with, say,
    >SIGKILL? The file will stay in the queue. That's a zero-length
    >file, owned by qmail, without any user identification whatsoever.

    <--snip-->

    >When this sequence is executed a sufficient number of times, the
    >queue file system runs out of available resources.  No-one can send
    >mail. No-one can receive mail. And no-one can be held responsible.

    <--snip again-->

    Pardon my comments here, I am no qmail expert (I don't even run the thing),
    but surely you could get around this by applying a small patch to
    qmail-queue to look for such zero-length files and remove any that are
    found (ie: one of the first things it does).  If the task of searching the
    directory upon each invocation seems too much, have it save a reference
    marker to another temp file that qmail-queue could then remove when it
    exits successfully.  Wouldn't that prevent that particular DoS?

    Trev