Re: PATH variable in zip-slackware 2.0.35

From: Karl Stevens (schonat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 06:34:16 PST

    Have to comment here one last time:

    On 02-Jan-99, kay wrote:
    >> Actually, this is the default path for USERS, not for root (Slackware 3.4,
    >> 3.5, 3.6) The default path for root is
    >> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
    >
    > This is not true. This is output from a clean Slackware 3.6:

    Well, it's true on ALL of my systems (14 to date) :

    schon:~$ echo $PATH

    /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/andrew/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/
    games:.
    schon:~$ su
    Password:
    schon:/home/karl# echo $PATH

    /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

    > A quick look through the init scripts reveals no distinguish whether they
    > run as root, other privileged uid, or something.

    Another quick look reveals this:

    schon:/etc# grep 'ENV_SUPATH' /etc/login.defs
    # Three items must be defined:  MAIL_DIR, ENV_SUPATH, and ENV_PATH.

    ENV_SUPATH
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

    >> The problem specified in the previous posts is only present in the zipslack
    >> distribution.
    >
    > This is not true as well. If it was only present in zipslack noone would
    > care. I personally wouldn't run a secure server on zipslack/umsdos.

    It is true, as far as I have tested.  14 boxen with regular slackware vs.
    the one zipslack from the original poster. (I emailed him to verify)

    Granted there are problems with security on a default slackware install
    (including ttyp's in /etc/securetty for one) I don't think this is
    really one of them.. either that, or I'm doing something totally different
    than you are during install.

    -Karl