Re: bug: l0phcrack 2.5 - bad permisions on temp files,

From: aleph1at_private
Date: Wed Jan 06 1999 - 11:35:01 PST

    L0phtCrack Security Fix Release 2.51 Now Available

    Vytis Fedaravicius <vytixat_private> reported a problem where
    L0phtCrack 2.5 created temporary files in the system TEMP directory.
    These files contained the password hashes that were dumped from the
    registry or from a SAM file import. Worse yet, the auto-save feature of
    L0phtCrack would default to saving the cracked passwords here unless the
    filename was changed by the user.

    We think this was a big enough problem that we put out a fix immediately.
    As you might imagine we take security vulnerabilities quite seriously.
    Especially thouse in tools purporting to be security and/or audit tools.

    A new version of L0phtCrack 2.51 was made available 1/5/99 from the L0pht
    Website at http://www.l0pht.com/l0phtcrack/dist/l0phtcrack251.exe

    The problem has been corrected by creating all temporary files within the
    L0phtCrack program directory.  These temporary files are deleted now once
    they are not needed.  Any cracked passwords are then saved by the
    auto-save feature into the L0phtCrack Program directory.

    We recommend setting the permissions on the L0phtCrack program directory
    to Full Control for users who have permission to run L0phtCrack and no
    permissions for all other users.

    L0phtCrack users are advised to look in their system TEMP directory and
    delete any 'passwd??' or 'passwed??.lc' files that may be left behind.

    L0phtCrack Development Team