Re: Anonymous Qmail Denial of Service

From: Wietse Venema (wietseat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 10 1999 - 14:35:36 PST

    Bernstein's posting contains inaccuracies. Rather than boring the
    reader I will just address a few. If there is sufficient demand I
    will make the full list available for those who care.

    >    * The world-writable drop directory was made unreadable. The
    >      [Postfix] author called this a ``solution'' and claimed that
    >      inode numbers offer 15 bits of randomness. In fact, on almost all
    >      UNIX systems today, inode numbers are trivially predictable. This
    >      is security through obscurity.

    The claim that the non-readable maildrop was offered as a ``solution''
    is inaccurate.  The non-readable maildrop was offered as a "short-term,
    interim solution", while a "permanent solution is under development".
    The announcement is likely to be still on-line.  The USENET news
    Message ID is <75r5q7$a3h$1at_private>.

    The claim that Postfix file name randomness is based inode numbers
    is inaccurate.  The 15 bits of randomness that I referred to are
    based the time of day in microseconds, which gives about 15 bits
    depending on implementation.  Now, 15 bits isn't a lot, but this
    scheme was chosen when queue file names were not meant to be secret.

    Before I end this post there is one observation that I would like
    to share with the reader.  In December, Daniel Bernstein posted a
    message to the qmail mailing list with in the subject: "Anonymous
    postfix denial of service", describing a variety of local attacks
    with Bernstein accuracy.  By way of response I described a local
    attack in a posting titled "Anonymous qmail denial of service".

    How memory can fail.  Daniel Bernstein denies that he attacked
    Postfix for being subject to a DoS attack, with the following words:

    D. J. Bernstein:
    > Perry E. Metzger writes:
    > > You attacked Postfix for being subject to a DoS attack.
    >
    > I pointed out that [Postfix] allowed local users to
    >
    >    * anonymously destroy messages accepted by the MTA from other users;
    >    * obtain traffic information that some sites consider private;
    >    * on some UNIX variants, charge mail to the wrong user; and
    >    * under specialized circumstances, steal unreadable files.
    >
    > Which of these are you calling a ``denial-of-service attack,'' Perry?

    The claim is in the title, Dan: "Anonymous postfix denial of
    service". You can find it in your own mailing list archive.

            Wietse