Keeping Solaris up-to-date: summary

From: John RIddoch (jrat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 20 1999 - 02:15:24 PST

    As promised, here is a summary of comments from BUGTRAQ readers:

    Robert Watson raised an issue about a potential race condition while the
    script reads the file data in.  If the file is modified during the running of
    the script, inconsistent data is likely to be read.  While there is no obvious
    exploit to this, it is still considered a bug.  Some kind of file-locking
    could be implemented to prevent this, especially since all hosts are Solaris
    machines.

    He also raised the issue that NFS is not cryptographically protected and is
    not a particularly secure transport.

    Several people asked about brining the system down to single user mode (as is
    recommended, especially for kernel patches).  No, I haven't looked at that as
    yet, although I may consider trying to implement it.  However, I haven't
    experienced any problems with applying patches to live systems as yet.

    Everett Lipman raised concern about running an NFS-mounted script, as it
    becomes trivial to break root on multiple machines if the NFS server is
    cracked.  The obvious fix is to install the script on each machine (say, in
    /usr/sbin).

    He also pointed out that the NFS-server could share the directory read-only
    for added safety.  This was, in fact, what I had done (although I didn't
    mention it).

    Corey Lindsly also pointed out that blithely applying patches can be a Bad
    Thing as patches have been known to break systems.

    Finally, something which no-one actually pointed out to me was that there is
    no checking of the data read in from the patch_list file; simply having a
    line:
    123456-12;rm -rf /
    would delete the machine (the danger of using system() calls).  I plan on
    implementing bounds checking this in the script.

    Finally, I've put the stuff regarding this on the web at
    http://www.scms.rgu.ac.uk/staff/jr/computing/unix/perl/patchupdate.shtml

    This includes the issues raised above and some better instructions on how to
    install and set up the script.  Any further updates will be posted there.

    --
    John Riddoch    Email: jrat_private        Telephone: (01224)262730
    Room C4, School of Computer and Mathematical Science