Re: Outlook 98 Security "Feature"

From: Jason Witty (jasonat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 14:23:58 PST

    I have noticed this same type of behavior using Outlook '98 and a
    Verisign Personal Certificate.  If, however, you do the following, it
    will encrypt the reply:

    1) Ensure the recipient is listed in your local contacts folder, and
    that you have their public key (certificate).
    2) When replying, erase the TO: field.
    3) Click on the TO: button and change the "Show names from the:" box to
    read "Contacts".
    4) Select that person's alias form the local contacts folder, and click
    the "To->" button.
    5) Send the message

    I realize this is highly "cludgy", but it seems to work.  Hopefully
    Micro$oft really IS working on a fix..........

    Jason