Re: NT4 Locking (Was: ole objects in a "secured" environment?)

From: The Attitude Adjuster (adjusterat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 17 1999 - 15:14:31 PST

    On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Bronislaw Kozicki wrote:

    > 2) super-privileged GINA that can be any DLL you put in registry. User
    > (or hacker) can make own GINA and try to register it (a) writing to
    > registry or (b) replacing file MSGINA.DDL. By default ordinary user
    > cannot do that, but ...

     It's worth noting that a sample GINA which makes calls down to the
    Microsoft GINA is available as source on the platform SDK in MSDN. (I just
    recently wrote a GINA to do a custom touch-screen based authentication)
     The key where the GINA is registered is secured, but if MSGINA.DLL is
    living on a FAT partition, it would be trivial to replace it w/ another
    GINA which calls back to MSGINA (albeit renamed, of course).
     Off the top of my head, I cannot tell you the default NTFS permission on
    MSGINA.DLL, but my _HOPE_ would be that it is set securely (I'll have to
    check when I get back to an NT box).

     Indeed, a GINA which collects passwords would be fairly trivial to
    implement-- calling back down to Microsoft's MSGINA w/ stub functions.
    GINA is also a neat place to implement things like "logoff scripts" and
    disallowing the use of "locked" screensavers, too.
      __ __ __
      / /-//-/  The Attitude Adjuster    http://www.bright.net/~catsuit
             ...so terribly unfashionable media productions...