Re: [patch] /proc race fixes for 2.2.1 (fwd)

From: Richard Kail (e8903122at_private)
Date: Wed Feb 03 1999 - 04:50:52 PST

    Hello !

    There seems to be anoter /proc race in the 2.2.1 linux kernel.
    I will explain this with an example:

    modprobe coda.o     # will load coda.o as dynamically module
                        # the kernel will create a /proc/fs/coda directory
                        # on the fly.

    cd /proc/fs/coda    # make shell chdir("/proc/fs/coda")

    rmmod coda.o        # works ! (shouldn't)

    ls -l               # generate a oops.

    after this, the coda.o module seems not to work at all. Maybe this is a
    systematic problem of more than one driver. I am not a kernel hacker, so I
    can't check all kernel modules for this kind of problem.

    Since a user can control the whole process I think has security
    implications.

    A user can trigger a "modprobe module" command using the kerneld (oh, its
    called kmod now...) mechanism.

    A user can chdir /proc/fs/coda.

    If the system has implemented the cron job as suggested in
    linux/Documentation/kmod.txt the user has just to wait with
    wd=/proc/fs/code to crash the system.

    Kind regards,
    	Richard

    ------
    "One day, computer power will eventually outstrip demand, and OS engineers
    will be free to use friendly languages like LISP again.. until then, I
    think we're stuck with C."                         -- Oliver Xymoro