More oshare testing.

From: C.J. Oster (lordvadrat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 02 1999 - 21:58:27 PST

    While testing the oshare attack a little more, I have found something that
    you may find interresting.  Here at the university, many people are
    running the same installation of windows, ie off of the same cd, same
    patches, etc.  The differences in behavior seem to be due to the type of
    network card installed in the machine.  Here is a VERY small list.

    win95 is broken and bluescreens all the time.

    win98 with the following network cards...

    LinkSys ISA (ne2000 chipset):	Spontaneous Reboot.
    LinkSys PCI (ne2000):		Blue Screen
    3c509 (ISA):			Blue Screen
    3c590 (PCI):			Some Blue Screens, others Hang
    3c905 (PCI):			Hangs until packets stop comming, then
    				complete wakup.

    I wasn't able to test macs because we have so few here, but the two I did
    test either froze completly or had no effect.  Results were not
    consistent.

    So the question now is "Is oshare a hardware driver problem and not a
    winsock bug?"

    -CJO-

                    C.J. Oster (Linux Guru/Surge Addict)
    | cjoat_private   |   910 S. 3rd St, #1218  |	CCSO, WSG, UIUC  |
    | osterat_private  |   Champaign, IL 61820   |	1443 DCL, Urbana |
    		   (580)761-6393 (217)328-8934
          "Linux, for people with an IQ above 98" - Bumper Sticker
     "Hm, a little big for a cup holder... Why does it say '4x' on it?"