Re: Linux /usr/bin/lpc overflow

From: Simon Karpen (slkat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 04 1999 - 13:29:42 PST

    On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Denis Bucher wrote:
    > xnecat_private a écrit :

    > > There is a local root comprimise hole in PLP Line Printer Control program,
    > > version 4.0.3, which is SuSE 5.2's /usr/bin/lpc.  Most other unices use a
    > > different version of lpc (including SuSE 5.1).
    >
    > Under an installation of SuSE 5.1, I found lpc 4.0.3 !
    > Therefore I think 5.1 is not safe !

    SuSE 5.3 and 6.0 appear not to suffer from this problem.

    Under 5.3:
    scan:/home/skarpen # rpm -qf /usr/sbin/lpc
    lprold-3.0.1-14
    scan:/home/skarpen # /usr/sbin/lpc
    lpc>

    Under 6.0:
    root@grendel:~ > rpm -qf /usr/sbin/lpc
    lprold-3.0.1-37
    root@grendel:~ > /usr/sbin/lpc
    lpc>

    Also, note that SuSE can install one of: PLP, 'classic' LPD, or LPRng.
    AFAIK the default os the 'classic' Berkeley LPD. (recent security-fixed
    version though)

    --Simon

    --
    Simon Karpen			slkat_private
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>	My opinions are my own.