Re: WebRamp M3 Perceived Bug

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragenat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 04 1999 - 16:59:12 PST

    On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Robert Ward wrote:
    > We designed this box with being able to access the CLI or HTTP interface
    > from the WAN in mind.  This feature allows for remote management and trouble
    > shooting of the WebRamp, and has proved to be an essential tool to our
    > support department.  If security is a concern change the Administrative
    > password on your WebRamp, and do so frequently.

    IMHO, when you ship someone a preconfigured machine of some kind, and
    they don't express any particular interest or knowledge about the
    possibilities of that machine being controlled remotely, the default
    should be for that machine not to be controllable remotely -- not for
    anyone in the world to be able to control that machine remotely.

    > 2)  This is true for every M3/M3t/M3i/300 user who is not using Visible
    > Computers or telnet Local Servers.  I would approximate this number to be in
    > the 90% or higher range.  The number of customers who have actively tried to
    > disable incoming telnet sessions that we are aware of is much lower than 1%.

    This is probably a good rule of thumb.  99% or more of the people out
    there won't even think about security.  It's a betrayal, a fraud, an
    injustice to put backdoors into your products by default, then give
    people the ability to turn them off -- knowing that more than 99% of
    them will never use it.

    Imagine getting a new car.  Like more than 99% of car owners, you don't
    read the owner's manual.  After six months, the car's brakes stop
    working in traffic; it kills your wife and kids, along with the
    occupants of several dozen other cars of the same model in that city
    block.  You call the manufacturer to complain.  "Didn't you read the
    manual?" they say.  "On page 66, it explains that the car is rigged to
    disable the brakes when it receives a particular radio signal, but you
    can turn it off with a switch inside the glove compartment.  It's not
    our fault if terrorists use this feature to blow up buildings, and if
    you didn't bother to read the manual.  We put it in to help our
    mechanics when the brake pedals get stuck."

    > 3)  There are workarounds readily available.

    . . . which, as you point out, more than 99% of your customers don't
    even know about, and therefore more than 99% of your customers are wide
    open.

    I hope you get your irresponsible sorry asses hauled into court for
    this, you pathetic slimeballs.

    --
    <kragenat_private>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
    Computers are the tools of the devil. It is as simple as that. There is no