Re: Netect Advisory: palmetto.ftpd - remote root overflow

Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 16:09:08 PST

    I would like to thank Jordan for making this information public, and
    making available pointers to updated versions of ftpd that do not have
    these problems.

    Since I did not find a RedHat-4.2 compatible RPM of the latest "vr"
    release of wu-ftpd, I took the libery of making an updated ftpd RPM
    myself.  This is a "quick and dirty" RPM, and does not, AFAIK, properly
    use PAM, and assumes that you are using a standard shadowed system.

    One advantage of this version of ftpd, in addition to fixing the long
    directory problem, is that /etc/ftpaccess actually works.

    RPMs of wu-ftpd-beta18-VR13 here:

    	http://www.samiam.org/blackdragon

    Hopefully, RedHat will have some more PAM-friendly RPMs available soon for
    both 5.2 and 4.2 systems.

    - Sam