Re: Spoofed Yahoo web site - www.yaho.co.uk

From: Paul McGovern (islesat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 14:49:00 PST

    On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Paul Murphy wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | You might like to try this one on for size, and advise whether there's
    | anything nasty going on behind this site.....

    Going to this site in lynx, we're given a page with the following link on
    it:
                           The requested URL probably is:

                               http://www.yahoo.co.uk

    however, the link behind this is actually
    http://www.aae.net/typo/typolink.shtml. Following this link takes you to a
    page with one main frame (which has the actual link to
    http://www.yahoo.co.uk) and 14 others, which under netscape for linux are
    hidden. However, of course, lynx tells us where they go :> the sites they
    lead to are:

    http://199.217.203.16/stats.asp?sb5553
    http://www.gaytradition.com/trafficcash/trafficcash.cgi?nutzw1
    http://cgi2.hotshots.net/0/nutzw1
    http://adultad.hotlynxxx.com/hotapi.wsa/GIF1852
    http://ad.xxxteen.com/INDEX_2632.shtml
    http://ad.xxxpic.com/adult/21/INDEX_2675.shtml
    http://ad.xxxteen.com/INDEX_2709.shtml
    http://ad.mpgworld.com/INDEX_2661.shtml
    http://ad.xxxteen.com/indexmain.shtml
    http://ad.xxxpic.com/adult/21/start.htm
    http://ad.mpgworld.com/start.htm

    with a couple of them repeated. Under netscape for linux, it automatically
    refreshed my browser to www.yahoo.co.uk but watching the status bar i
    could see netscape trying to look up all of these sites so I know it was
    working in the background to connect to those sites. Pretty harmless,
    looks to me like someone's little scheme to generate fake 'banner clicks,'
    pretty lame but more original than spamming eh? Anyway, it doesn't look
    like this has anything malicious like a session watcher behind it, just
    someone's idea of making a little spare cash. Of course, I could be
    wrong... this is all just speculation :> Regards,

    Paul McGovern (nyisles) - islesat_private
    BSBW Public Library - Technical Assistant
    Administrator - redemption.bc.ca.xnet.org
    Administrator - krad.fef.net
    http://www.krad.org (under construction)