Re: ISS Internet Scanner Cannot be relied upon for conclusive

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 00:59:29 PST

    In some mail from der Mouse, sie said:
    [...]
    > Surely this is a bit of a no-brainer - why not just try the exploit and
    > see if it works?  That's certainly what an attacker will do.

    Let me hit you with another suggestion: if you know something about a
    box which suggests that an attack won't work, why try it ?

    This is the flip side of the problem with the "isologin" check.

    Why do it at all ?  Well, when you've got X number of hours/days to get
    a job done, you want it to be time well spent.

    For example, if I do a port scan and cannot connect to the smtp port
    and later amongst the list of things to check are various sendmail
    bugs, should I still try them ?

    The expectation is that if a service is meant to be available, that it
    will at any time of a scan.  If a service is not available then more than
    likely there is no point making further advanced checks.

    My take on this current problem is that ISS doesn't gain enough intelligence
    before deciding to ignore the "ioslogin" problem.  The original poster
    mentioned that the system was vulnerable (although not if he exploited it
    from the same machine/ip# as the scan) and according to David, it bases
    it's decision on an SNMP reply.  Well, SNMP is often turned off, and I
    would have hoped that for this check it could have applied the results
    of the "telnet" check (which would be a definate prequisite for this
    one) where the banner has been captured.  Cisco "telnet banners" are
    fairly disctinctive.

    Last time I had to use either Ballist/ISS I found numerous problems
    which I related back to various people (they need beta testers to
    be able to use proper licenses with them, not just localhost).

    Darren