Re: Microsoft Access 97 Stores Database Password as Plaintext

From: Ian Smith (Smithat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 07:32:45 PST

    On Mon, 8 Feb 1999 sozniat_private wrote:
    > My solution was to write a utility that will make a huge file filled
    > with zeros the same size as the remaining space on the hard drive.  Then
    > I deleted that file and compacted the database into a new filename.
    >
    > Of course this was several years ago when remaining space on a hard
    > drive was negligent.  I look at my remaining hard drive space now and
    > making a 3GB file would not be practical.  Perhaps you could make a
    > small partition or even a ram drive just for this purpose.

    Or run a utility that wipes out free space on a daily basis.  There
    are several that I have seen.

    I am not affiliated with Jetico other than a user, but I use their
    BestCrypt encrypted filesystem for Windows (which is a great product),
    and it comes with a utility to fry unused portions of your hard drive
    and other locations that could contain old data.  The drive wiper is
    available as a seperate download and is free for noncomercial use.
    It's about $10 for the purchased version.

    http://www.jetico.sci.fi/bcwipe.htm

    --
    IanSmithat_private                                  Visit Below!
    My HP48/Imagine/ImageMaster/FractalExtreme Page  -->  www.ian.org