Re: ISS Internet Scanner Cannot be relied upon for conclusive

From: Adam Shostack (adamat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 20:44:18 PST

    On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 10:06:16AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
    | >> [...] the old ioslogon bug [...ISS didn't find it...]
    |
    | > [...response from someone who writes as if on behalf of ISS's makers;
    | > I can't recall whether mindspring.com is the ISS people or not...]

    David is with ISS, I'm with Netect.  I post from homeport because
    thats where I've been subscribed to bugtraq, and because these
    opinions are not those of my employer.

    | If ISS claims to check for the ioslogon bug, but actually checks (by
    | whatever means) for software versions known to have that bug, the claim
    | is a lie.  If you claim to check for the ioslogon bug, then that's what
    | you should do: try to exploit it and see if it works.  Who knows, maybe
    | there's another vulnerable version out there, or perhaps some
    | supposedly vulnerable versions don't happen to be vulnerable after all.

    	Unfortunately, its not that simple in many cases.  Lets look
    at majordomo's reply-to bug as an example.  You send mail to
    majordomo, with a reply-to address in backticks.  Majordomo helpfully
    runs the command for you.  Simply doing this and seeing if it works is
    not easy; the command is queued through mail for running later.  How
    long should a scanner wait for a response?

    	IOS is actually a cleaner case than many; if you have a cisco,
    its either vulnerable or not; the IOS version, if you can get it,
    tells you if the machine is vulnerable with a fair degree of
    reliability.  The alternative, which is ask the admin to enter all
    their admin passwords so that the scanner can log in and check things
    precisely, makes the scanner host a very fat and attractive target.

    Adam

    					               -Hume