Re: SSH 1.x and 2.x Daemon

From: Casper Dik (casperat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 08:33:24 PST

    >No standard Unix 64-bit password can ever be encoded as anything but 11
    >characters plus 2 more for the "salt".  Any field that is less than 13
    >characters can never match a valid password and will always result in a
    >locked account.  To be ultra careful any field longer than 13 characters
    >should be searched for illegal characters, i.e. any non-alpha-numeric or
    >not '.' and '/'.  However in practice one can also assume that any field
    >longer than 13 characters results in a locked account.

    It should be notedm though, that some shadow password implementations
    encoded password attributes by adding ",attributes" to the encrypted
    string.

    Also, in SunOS 4.x "magic" shadow password, the password would look
    like "##user".

    I don't think it's really all that easy to make ssh work safely without
    involving the system's login program or PAM, if it has it.

    When exec'ing login, the daemon loses track of the fact whether authentication
    was actually successful;  so it can't safely do port/X forwarding in such
    cases.

    Casper