Re: ISS Internet Scanner Cannot be relied upon for conclusive

From: Joel Eriksson (na98jenat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 08:42:58 PST

    On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Randy Taylor wrote:

    > One of the hard lessons I learned long ago when writing vulnerability
    > testing code is that exercising exploit methods can do more harm than
    > good. A crash or a system lockup may be the result, even though the code
    > was written to avoid such a thing. In other words, stuff can and often does
    > happen. :-}

    Unfortunately I do not doubt this. But it is the only way to make a
    conclusive check. I think that there should be at least two
    "testing-modes" available, one that can be used on production systems
    without having to be afraid of loss of service, and one "real attack" mode.

    When a real attacker tries to exploit the vulnerabilities and it results
    in a crash, system lockup or in worst case a succesful exploit attempt one
    probably wishes a "real attack" test would have been made in the first
    place though..

    > In the end, no commercial vulnerability testing tool can or should
    > substitute for good old-fashioned human analysis of the post-test report.

    This can not be emphasized enough..

    > While I agree an attacker will most certainly attempt a full-blown
    > exploit, the attacker has no liability in the corporate sense. A commercial
    > testing tool like ISS or CyberCop does have such a liability. ISS and NAI
    > have relatively deep pockets, and must exercise due diligence and care in
    > the methods used by their products to test for vulnerabilities. No one would
    > buy their products if they crashed or locked up systems on a regular basis.
    > Crackers have shallow pockets (or none at all ;), and no such concerns for
    > diligence or care.

    Thats's what disclaimers are for.. ;-) Well, as said before, at least two
    "testingmodes" should be available. I realize this a real pain to
    implement, but they are _really_ useful and certainly should be of very
    high priority.

    > Best regards,
    >
    > Randy

    / Joel Eriksson