Re: PPTP Revisited

From: aleph1at_private
Date: Sun Feb 14 1999 - 11:34:48 PST

    On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 03:39:05PM -0800, Paul Leach wrote:
    > Nice analysis. Correct as far as I can see with a quick review. I only have
    > one quibble with it. See below...

    That is correct. That is why you can perform a dictionary attack againts
    Kerberos. Given this I don't see why you consider it missleading. I would
    consider missleading claiming that Kerberos offers 40 or 128 bit security.

    > To my knowledge, the same will hold for any authentication and key exchange
    > protocol that doesn't use public key technology.

    Well technically it is true for any protocol where the keys are not derived
    from true random sources, the problem is having both parties agree to the
    key. This can normally can be acomplished via public key technology. But
    as you point out above even password based schemes like PPTP's can provide
    40 or 128-bit security, if they pasword itself provides 40 or 128-bit security
    its simply that for the average password this is not true.

    --
    Aleph One / aleph1at_private
    http://underground.org/