Re: mc & Segmentation fault

From: Sw3 (sw3wnat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 13 1999 - 19:49:29 PST

    shaman wrote:

    > Some days ago i discovered something..If you export TERM with the name for
    > example "buqtraq" and you will start Midnight Commander you will see
    > something like this:
    >
    > localhost:~$ export TERM="bugtraq"
    > localhost:~$ mc
    > Unknown terminal: buqtraq
    > Check the TERM environment variable.
    > Also make sure that the terminal is defined in the terminfo database.
    > Alternatively, set the TERMCAP environment variable to the desired
    > termcap entry.
    >
    > But if the name of the TERM will include over 227 characters you will see
    > something different:
    > localhost:~$ export TERM="bugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraq
    >      bugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraq
    >      bugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraq
    >      bugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraq
    >      bugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraqbugtraq
    >      "
    > localhost:~$ mc
    > Segmentation fault
    > localhost:~$
    >
    > I don`t know if it is interesting and i haven`t try do exploiting it but
    > maybe someone....
    > I have tested it only on Slackware 3.5.

    This is clearly a buffer overflow, but not a security compromise, since
    it's
    not remote exploitable nor suid anything.

    I checked it out, it seems to be a stack overflow, ie. the program
    counter is just next to it, quite common.  I contacted the authors about
    it.

    --
       Julien Nadeau      | sw3wnat_private
      Proof of concept    | "A complex solution to a simple problem"