Re: ISS Internet Scanner Cannot be relied upon for conclusive

From: Shaun Lowry (shaunlat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 15 1999 - 05:36:34 PST

    Daniele Orlandi [mailto:danieleat_private] writes:
    > All the timestamps should be recorded in GMT, all comparisons
    > should be made
    > relying on GMT time. The only thing that changes between DST
    > and NON DST is the
    > time shown to the user.
    >
    > Changing saving time state is like changing time zone, 10:00
    > CET is the same GMT
    > time as 4:00 EST (it's only an example, I could be wrong).

    I don't know that this is actually true on Windows NT; certainly
    the time that's presented to the user seems to be wrong in certain
    cases.  For example, a file created on 15/Feb/1999 at 13:08 GMT will,
    after DST kicks in, be reported as being created on 15/Feb/1999 at 14:08

    even though DST wasn't in force at that time!  I'm not sure how NT
    goes about adjusting for DST but it either: incorrectly adjusts how it
    displays dates to the user in this case, or it 'adjusts' when the epoch
    was (either by changing it's current offset or resetting the system
    clock).

    As a rule, I don't rely on NT date stamps.

     Shaun.