Re: [HERT] Advisory #002 Buffer overflow in lsof

From: John DiMarco (jddat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 11:17:14 PST

    In message <199902190011.RAA26284at_private>you write:
    >> People who publish bugs/exploits that are not being actively exploited
    >> *before* giving the vendor a chance to fix the flaws are clearly
    >> grandstanding.  They're part of the problem -- not the solution.
    >
    >No.  The problem is badly written code.
    >The REAL problem is software package maintainers who do not proactively
    >audit their software.

    Theo and Gene are both right.  The original problem is badly written code.
    But telling everybody except the author about it compounds the problem,
    at least in the short term, by helping exploiters win the bugfix race.

    Authors who write security-sensitive code should audit it carefully for
    security holes.  But if someone else finds a hole the author missed, _please_
    tell the author right away so (s)he can fix it.  It's not only the courteous
    thing to do, it's often the best and quickest way to eliminate the bug,
    which is what we all want to see.

    If an author isn't responsive, that's another matter.

    Further, I find the most useful BUGTRAQ postings to be ones that focus not
    only on the problem, but outline appropriate fixes too; co-operation with the
    author, if possible, is often the best way to put together fixes that make
    sense.

    Regards,

    John
    --
    John DiMarco <jddat_private>                         Office: SF2101
    CSLab Systems Manager                                     Phone: 416-978-5300