Re: [HERT] Advisory #002 Buffer overflow in lsof

From: Peter W (peterwat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 14:58:00 PST

    On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Gene Spafford wrote:

    > If there is a problem that is not known and not
    > under attack,

    How do you know that noone else has found or is using the exploit?

    > notifying the vendor and waiting for a valid fix to appear is
    > not going to result in anyone being hurt.

    Surely a responsible person would not simply wait until the fix is
    released; even under your rules of etiquette it only makes sense to wait a
    "reasonable" amount of time.

    > Posting an exploit widely for a
    > previously unknown problem suddenly opens up all the current users to attack.

    For proprietary software that cannot be disabled or replaced with an
    equivalent piece of code, yes, probably. For software you have the source
    code for, or "commodity" applications, or non-critical applications,
    immediate disclosure might help. What if some Internet streaming media
    server you used had a bug that could compromise a machine? Would you
    rather know about it so you could save your tail (apologizing to
    inconvenienced users, of course), or sit on that timebomb and hope the
    vendor ships a new binary before someone else finds the problem?

    In *this* instance, it seems that Vic Abell responded quickly, and I'd
    tend to agree that HERT reacted poorly to their "find" -- although in
    fairness while they announced a bug, apparently they did not publish
    exploit code for the script kiddies.** Heck, if they know there's a
    buffer overflow and they have the source, would it kill the HERT folks to
    write their own patch? That's the real crime here: if you have the source
    and are code-literate, why don't you provide a fix? Give something back,
    for crying out loud!

    But your sweeping generalizations about what responsible people should do
    is ill-conceived and smacks of someone coming to knee-jerk defense of a
    local friend and colleague.

    -Peter, who guesses Spaf will never autograph his copy of PU&IS now ;-)

    ** which could bring us into the nasty rootshell/SSH circle -- how do you
    *know* the hole is real if you don't have the exploit code or a patch?

    Is Big Brother watching you? Intel is planning on it.
    With Pentium III, there won't be any online privacy. Act now.
     http://www.privacy.org/bigbrotherinside/