Re: [HERT] Advisory #002 Buffer overflow in lsof

From: M.C.Mar (woloszynat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 20 1999 - 05:13:17 PST

    On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 routeat_private wrote:

    > [Gene Spafford wrote]
    > |
    > | People who publish bugs/exploits that are not being actively exploited
    > | *before* giving the vendor a chance to fix the flaws are clearly
    > | grandstanding.  They're part of the problem -- not the solution.
    > |

    >     Who is to say the vulnerability in question was NOT being exploited
    >     prior to release?  Odds are it was.  Bugtraq is a full-diclosure list.
    >     The `problem` as you succinctly put it is in *non-disclosure*.  While
    >     it is still questionable whether or not the original posters found the bug
    >     themselves (the advisory lacked any technical detail) calling them part of

    In the adv. there was written:
    Author:          Mariusz Tmoggie Marcinkiewicz <tmoggieat_private>

    I'm the witness that he DID found a bug themselfe (maybe he was not FIRST
    ever). Tmoggie called me tuesday evening and he said that there is a bug
    in lsof (he was prepairing CD with S.u.s.e distribution, so he installed
    it and did some find for suid/sgid files). Next day, I found his mail
    about it (which was addressed to hert and lam3rz mailing lists) in my
    mailbox, so I wrote an exploit (it took me about half an hout), I used
    slackware linux. After that I posted it back to HERT. Becouse of something
    there was a lot of rumor about this vul. on #hax channel on IRC, so
    Anthony Zboralski <aczat_private> HERT maintainer decided to write an
    advisory to made it public.

    >   the problem is a misfire of your disdain (attacking them on the content
    >   of the advisory --or lack thereof-- is a much better call).  The problem,
    >   in this case, would be the malevolent individual(s) breaking into your
    >   machine exploiting this bug (before or after it was disclosed).

    So now you know WHY it was published so fast, without giving a chance to
    fix it...
    BTW: finding such kind of vulnerability is not so hard! As I can undestand
    that authors of lsof could be not familiar with security, but I cannot
    undestand WHY people that are NOT good in security issues are doing
    COMMERCIAL distributions (like S.u.s.e or RH)???

    >   Don't shoot the messenger.

    :)

    --
    Kil3rat_private