Re: Process table attack (from RISKS Digest)

From: Olle Segerdahl,D (olleat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 09:33:34 PST

    On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Mark Boolootian wrote:

    > The Process Table Attack is a [relatively] new kind of denial-of-service
    > attack that can be waged against numerous network services on a variety of
    > different UNIX systems. The attack is launched against network services
    > which fork() or otherwise allocate a new process for each incoming TCP/IP
    > connection.  Although the standard UNIX operating system places limits on
    > the number of processes that any one user may launch, there are no limits on
    > the number of processes that the superuser can create other than the hard
    > limits imposed by the operating system. Since incoming TCP/IP connections
    > are usually handled by servers that run as root, it is possible to
    > completely fill a target machine's process table with multiple
    > instantiations of network servers. Properly executed, this attack prevents
    > any other command from being executed on the target machine.

    How is this DoS different from the Old "rescource exaustion" attacks?

    Anyone remember the "octopus" ? (keeping multiple sendmail-connections and
    depriving the machine of either memory or proc#:s, whichever came first.)

    I don't think it's fair to say it's "a [relatively] new kind of denial-of-service attack"

    /olle

    --
    Above views are my own unless explicitly stated otherwise.
    God is real, until declared integer.