Re: Buffer overflow in www.boutell.com cgic library

From: Frank Tegtmeyer (fteat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 03:18:18 PST

    Jon Ribbens wrote:
    > Thomas Boutell's cgic library (version 1.05) has a buffer overflow in
    > cgiFormEntryString() which is almost certainly exploitable. (Although
    > it obviously depends on the program that has linked with cgic.)

    Seems to be solved. From Thomas Boutells site
    (http://www.boutell.com/cgic/#whatsnew106)

    What's new in version 1.06?

    1. A potentially significant buffer overflow problem has been corrected.
       Jon Ribbens correctly pointed out to me (and to the Internet's bugtraq
       mailing list) that the cgiFormEntryString function, which is used
       directly or indirectly by almost all CGIC programs, can potentially
       write past the buffer passed to it by the programmer. This bug has been
       corrected. Upgrading to version 1.06 is strongly recommended.
    2. The function cgiSaferSystem() has been removed entirely. This function
       escaped only a few metacharacters, while most shells have many, and
       there was no way to account for the many different operating system
       shells that might be in use on different operating systems. Since this
       led to a false sense of security, the function has been removed. It is
       our recommendation that user input should never be passed directly on
       the command line unless it has been carefully shown to contain only
       characters regarded as safe and appropriate by the programmer. Even
       then, it is better to design your utilities to accept their input from
       standard input rather than the command line.

    Regards, Frank