Re: [HERT] Advisory #002 Buffer overflow in lsof

From: Lee Brotzman (lebat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 13:03:18 PST

    > On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Mariusz Marcinkiewicz wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Don Lewis wrote:
    > >
    > > > ... or are there systems that give group kmem write privileges?  If so,
    > > > I'd say that's a security hole.
    > >
    > > Yes, you are right... but... I saw that hole after installing new linx and
    > > checked it's security. First I was suprised but not for a long time.
    > > In a few mins I noticed all linux versions are chown .kmem; chmod g+s
    > > lsof...  on linux /dev/kmem is +w for gid kmem, on bsd too (probably, I
    >
    > Sorry, no go.  FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE and 4.0-CURRENT, the two versions I
    > have sitting around, have the following permissions on /dev/kmem:
    >
    > crw-r-----  1 root  kmem    2,   1 Mar  7  1998 /dev/kmem
    >
    > Please verify claims such as these before posting them.

    I have to agree.  On my installation of Caldera OpenLinux 1.2, I see the
    following:

    $ ls -l /usr/sbin/lsof
    -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        72492 Jan  7  1998 /usr/sbin/lsof
    $ ls -l /dev/kmem
    crw-r-----   1 root     kmem       1,   2 Jul 29  1998 /dev/kmem

    No SetGID on lsof, no +w on /dev/kmem.  For the claim of "all linux versions",
    just which linux versions were you talking about?

    --
    -- Lee E. Brotzman, NASA Automated Incident Response Capability (NASIRC)
    -- Phone: 814-861-5028  Fax: 814-861-3806  Email: lebat_private