Re: Process table attack (from RISKS Digest)

From: Andrew Hobgood (chaosat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 22:03:25 PST

    > Subject: Process-table attack
    >
    > The Process Table Attack is a [relatively] new kind of denial-of-service
    > attack that can be waged against numerous network services on a variety of
    > different UNIX systems. The attack is launched against network services

    This flaw isn't only limited to programs run from inetd (or other on-demand
    forking servers).  Over a year ago, I reported a DoS attack present in the
    "comsat" daemon (used to notify users of incoming mail).  That report can
    be found at: http://geek-girl.com/bugtraq/1997_3/0398.html

    Now, a simple way to avoid these kinds of denial of service attacks is to
    watch for multiple connections to a port (especially ones with no data)
    from a single source (at an IDS or firewall level).  You can then react
    with logging the attempts, firewalling the connections, or even spoofing
    connection resets to the local machine to clear out the connection table.

    The major problem with that approach, however, is that some programs,
    (the in.comsatd vulnerability, in particular) *look* like they're
    performing normal activity when a denial of service attack is in progress.
    Now, I'm sure that other programs exist that exhibit the same behavior,
    and these provide an even more worrisome issue than the normal
    forking-server family of daemons.

    I hope this gets the gears rolling in some of the brighter minds out
    there...

    /Andrew Hobgood [http://web.strange.net | Kha0S on EFnet IRC (#LinuxOS)]