Re: [NTSEC] ALERT: SLMail 3.2 (and 3.1) with the Remote

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 25 1999 - 10:04:35 PST

    At 06:36 2/25/99 +0000, mnemonix wrote:

    >Solution
    >Because of this Remote Administration should be DISABLED. If this is not
    >viable then the only way to prevent an unauthorized users (those with
    >accounts) is to remove the "Access this computer from the Network" user
    >right from the "Everybody" group and give this privilege to Administrators
    >only.

    You may want to verify that this is truly the case.  Most of the time, the
    only thing that "Log on from the network" affects is services available via
    IPC$.  That's why you see services that restrict users on the basis of
    logging on locally, logging on as services, and even logging on as a batch
    file.  Given that this service doesn't seem to be impersonating users, I
    would be surprised if that right actually shuts down this avenue of attack.
     If you've already verified this, my apologies.

    It sounds to me like disabling it may be the only really safe choice.

    David LeBlanc
    Internet Security Systems, Inc. | Voice: (678)443-6138
    300 Embassy Row.                | Fax:   (678)443-6479
    6600 Peachtree-Dunwoody Road NE | E-Mail:  dleblancat_private
    Atlanta, GA 30328               | www: http://www.iss.net/