Remote OS Deception?

From: Robert Wick (bwickat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 03 1999 - 18:47:23 PST

    In follow-up to the thread on remote OS detection, has anyone successfully
    deployed any type of OS "deception" or "honeypot" technology.  I have been
    working with the Deception ToolKit and looking at the "decoy services" provided
    by the ISS RealSecure product, but I am interested in hearing about other
    peoples experiences in deploying this technology.  I think the most value could
    be gained in two areas:

    1.     Internal deployment of deception technology to provide "vulnerable"
    services and tracking internal attackers attempting to exploit exploit rich
    internal hosts.

    2.     External deployment (DMZ) of deception technology to provide demographics

    as to the scope and depth of external attacks.  This could be a useful tool to
    justify
    additional security resources.

    I have not seen much discussion on this technology, outside of the discussions
    on OS type obfuscation, and I would be interested in hearing about experiences
    with vulnerable service deception.  In the case of vulnerable OS deception, does

    the open source model really work?  How quickly will a version of nmap or Satan
    be built to identify deception hosts if the source is public?

    --
    Robert Wick
    bwickat_private

     * http://www.bombdiggity.com/ *  Yeah, baby, YEAH!