[maex-qmailat_private: new "attack" scheme]

From: Peter van Dijk (peterat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 23:02:49 PST

    This might be of interest to non-qmail users too...

    ----- Forwarded message from Markus Stumpf <maex-qmailat_private> -----

    Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 06:54:55 +0100
    From: Markus Stumpf <maex-qmailat_private>
    To: qmailat_private
    Subject: new "attack" scheme

    While this is slightly offtopic I think it's important (and evil) enough
    to post it to this list.

    There is an "address collector" program that works with a dictionary
    of username appends the domain and uses RCPT TO to collect what it
    thinks are valid email addresses.

    >From the nature of the program and the design of qmail this may cause
    a lot of harm and problems, as - for every scanned domain - it will
    IMHO consider every name in its dictionary to be a valid address if
    hitting a qmail server.

    For now I have blocked
        @savings.com
        @whynot.com
    but with the described new version (see URL below) this surely will not be
    sufficient and I currently don't see any way to get around the problem
    (at least with a vanilla qmail installation; maybe Sam's UCE patch could
    help).

    For more detailed information please have a look at
        http://www.l8r.com/nwa/nwa1.htm

    	\Maex

    --
    SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | In a world without
    Research & Development    | mailto:maex-sigat_private |   walls and fences,

    ----- End forwarded message -----

    Greetz, Peter.
    --
    .| Peter van Dijk           | <mo|VERWEG> stoned worden of coden
    .| peterat_private  | <mo|VERWEG> dat is de levensvraag